Skip to Main Content

Information for Medical Providers

Enrolling Your Practitioner with Affiliated Computer Service (ACS)

Your practitioner is your doctor or health care provider. You must be sure they get an ACS number so that they can bill and get reimbursed by the US Department of Labor for your medical care. If they do not participate, they can become a participating provider. 

The ACS enrollment number of a medical practitioner number is NOT the same as a Medicare number. If the medical practitioner has not worked with a patient who has had a USDOL/OWCP claim, they will need to get this number.

You may call ACS yourself, to inquire if your provider is already a member (see contact information below). If not, you can obtain the enrollment form from the ACS website, which you can download here and give to your medical provider. Ask your practitioner for their ACS number so you can later check on the ACS website whether your bill has been paid or not.

Most hospitals are already enrolled and have an ACS number, but the majority of US hospitals will not know that they have this number or what the number is. You may have to call on their behalf to save time.

No medical bill will be paid without the provider's ACS number written in the lower left corner next to "a" of box 33 of the HCFA/CMS 1500 billing form, which you can view or download. Often it is the lack of the ACS number on the bill that prevents the bill from being paid, but they might never let you know that this is the reason. Always make sure that your provider knows this or help them submit it and obtain one. Remind them to put it on every medical bill submitted.

Once Your Claim Is Approved, you may see what bills have been paid by accessing the website of Affiliated Computer Services. After you get to the site, click FECA and Claimant and then enter your claim number to see if bills have been paid. Again, you will need to enter the provider's ACS number to obtain this information. It is suggested that you keep each provider's ACS number in your address book for reference. You may want to give your medical provider the ACS website, as well, so that they can also  (and potential problems).

Below are step-by-step instructions that you can give to your medical provider: 

Role of Medical Provider:

1. Provider must be registered/registers with DOL and have an ACS number. And the provider must be enrolled in the Electronic Fund Transfer system so that reimbursement will go directly into their bank account.

2. Prior authorization/retro authorization is obtained (if required)

3. Medical Services are provided

4. Submit claim/bill by provider

For Physician:

For Hospital:

5. Payment is made by EFT to provider

How Medical Providers Can File a Claim

Your provider is your doctor or other health care medical team member, such as an MD, DO or PhD. In order for them to get paid, they must be enrolled with the US Department of Labor and get an ACS number. If you have a doctor who is able to treat your condition but is not enrolled, they can still enroll and become a participating provider and you can help them. Direct them to this page for various forms (select  links and forms) and select Federal Employee's Compensation Act (FECA). Don't hesitate to contact the Peace Corps Post Service Unit if you have any questions or need help. 

1. They must register and obtain an ACS number

2. Then they must enroll with to have their bills paid electronically with an ETF (electronic funds transfer) process. Here is the form and here are the instructions.

3. Prior medical authorization must also be obtained for treatment. Forms for that are available here

4. Next, you see your doctor or have your medical treatment or tests. 

5. Make sure that your provider uses the diagnostic codes for treatment that are congruent with what your claims examiner says are in your record and correspond with your claim. Claims can be denied because the doctor makes an error in coding. 

6. Your provider then submits bills/claims and this is the link to the form and the instructions for completing the HCFA CMS 1500 form if they are an out-patient provider. 

7. Hospitals need to go to this link for information on filing. 

8. Once bills are submitted you and your provider can go to this website to see which bills are paid. You will need the dates and ACS number of provider to see what has been paid or why bills are denied.